- Honda Accord sets all-time monthly record with 51,075 units sold – up 32.5% in August
- Honda Division sales reach 151,551, just 263 units shy of second-best month in history
- New Acura TLX drives heavy dealer traffic in its first weeks on the market
- Acura ILX has best-ever August sales, rising 5.7% for the month
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported August 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 167,038 units, an increase of 0.4 percent versus August of last year. The Honda division posted the third highest monthly sales result its 44-year history, on sales of 151,551 vehicles in August while Acura posted sales of 15,487 units in the same period. Year-to-date American Honda sales reached 1,042,382 units.
Accelerating its strong summer sales performance, the Honda brand topped 150,000 units in a single month for only the third time in its history, as Accord led the way selling at an all-time record pace in August. [The all-time record of 153,104 units was set in the midst of a severe gas price hike in May 2008.]
- 51,075 Accords were sold in August, an all-time monthly record and an increase of 32.5 percent. It was the eighth-straight monthly gain for Accord.
- Odyssey also showed strength in August, with 12,488 units sold for a gain of 12.9 percent.
“The fundamental strengths of the Honda brand are on full display as the Accord strengthened its position as the best-selling car uniquely driven by retail sales to individual buyers,” said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. “Our other core models, Civic, CR-V and Odyssey are also performing well and continue to drive our retail sales leadership in 2014. And the early market response to the redesigned 2015 Fit is a strong indicator of great things to come as supplies improve,” added Conrad.
With the new Acura TLX arriving at dealers across the country last month, enthusiastic customers gave Acura dealers much to cheer about in August, as the new luxury performance sedan sold nearly as fast as dealers could unload them from transport trucks. While TLX supplies continue to ramp up, the best-selling MDX continued to set a near-record pace, and ILX enjoyed its best August on record.
- TLX went on-sale mid-August and is driving heavy dealer traffic to dealerships nationwide. The great majority of these early units were 3.5-liter V6 models as the 2.4-liter four cylinder began arriving later in the month and V6 SH-AWD models just starting to ship.
- With supplies improving, the Acura ILX posted its best ever August result on sales of 1,798 units, an increase of 5.7 percent.
“With TLX less than a month on the market, our dealers are reporting incredible showroom traffic with customers trying to buy a TLX before we can get it on the dealer lot,” said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. “Customer interest is the strongest we’ve seen on a new model launch, and we’re just now starting to deliver the highly-rated TLX four-cylinder and V6 SH-AWD models.”